Re: Suspend 2 merge: 35/51: Code always built in to the kernel.

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 21:27:01 EST

Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You want your cake and to eat it too? :> We don't want to warn the user
> before they shoot themselves in the foot, but not loudly enough that
> they can't help notice and choose to do something before the damage is
> done?

We have userspace to do this, surely? Make the standard method of
triggering resume involve an initrd, and have a small application that
does sanity checks before the resume. In case of failure, have it prompt
the user. As long as it doesn't do bad things to the filesystem,
there's no danger. There's no reason to do this in the kernel.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.linux-rutgers.kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx