Re: Priority Inheritance Test (Real-Time Preemption)

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 22:39:47 EST

point of disagreement ----^

> [ waits ] .
> [ 1 msec loop ] . .
> spin_unlock(&lock1); . .
> [ gets lock1 ] .
> spin_unlock(&lock2); .
> [ gets lock2 ]
> spin_lock(&lock1);
> [ boosts task-B ]
> [ waits ]
> [ 1 msec loop ] .
> spin_unlock(&lock1); .
> [ gets lock1 ]
>

> the additional 1 msec comes in because the RT task might be blocking on
> a task that _itself_ has to wait 1 msec to get its second lock. So we
> have 3 msec of maximum waiting altogether.
>
> the additional +1 msec comes from the fact that 1-deep lock/unlock of
> lock1 is an allowed operation too - 2 msec would be the limit if the
> only sequence is the 2-deep one.
>
> so i think the numbers, at least in the 2-deep case, are quite close to
> the theoretical boundary.
>
> agreed?

No :-)
Why should task B get lock1 the 2. time before the rt-task? That
would be an error!
As soon as task B releases lock1 it has to go back to no-rt and thus go to
sleep. It should be asleep until rt-task is done and thus shouldn't get a
chance to call spin_lock(&lock1) again while it can "do damage".

I just briefly checked the code in -31-7 and it should work like I
described: You explicitly put in a schedule() after resetting the
priority after releasing the lock in __up_mutex(). The priority should be
the one you get from mutex_getprio() since B's pi_waiters is emptied in
change_owner() called from set_new_owner() called from pick_new_owner()
called before pi_setprio().

I can't see how it can produce a flow like the one you describe above!

> Ingo

Esben