Re: Suspend 2 merge: 21/51: Refrigerator upgrade.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 02:07:01 EST

Hi.

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:05, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Yes, that's better. ... only that it means just another hook somewhere
> > > :-(.
> >
> > :<. But we're only talking two or three lines. Let's keep it in
> > perspective.
>
> I think even three lines are bad. It means that swsusp is no longer
> self-contained subsystem, but that it has its hooks all over the
> place. And those hooks need to be maintained, too.

Yes, but suspending can't practically be a self contained system. We can
try to convince ourselves that we're making it self contained by hiding
behind the driver model, but in reality, the driver model is just a nice
name for our sticky little fingers in all the other drivers, ensuring
they do the right thing when we want to go to sleep. Hooks in other code
is just the equivalent, but without the nice name. Perhaps I should
invent one. How about the "quiescing subsystem"? :>
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6