Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 11:52:03 EST

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 05:29:42AM +0100, Tonnerre wrote:

Fnord alert: you're trying to change the API and the ABI of Linux. The thing

No we aren't. We're just trying to make the kernel interface more
explicit. Nothing should change as far as userspace programs are
concerned. It might need some coordination with the various libcs.

Speaking of more explicit, there are various asm-ARCH header
files that do or do not hide (via __KERNEL__) interfaces
such as: get_unaligned()
and the atomic operations.

So are these Linux kernel exported APIs, or do they belong
in some library?

We'll need to decide on a consistent remedy for these,
and such changes could be made at any time IMO (i.e., soon).

And enough with the doom-and-gloom big-companies-are-scared approach, OK?
It's (a) untrue, (b) irrelevant, and (c) many of us work for big companies
that are doing Linux already. We don't need to be lectured by you.

--
~Randy