Re: Priority Inheritance Test (Real-Time Preemption)

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 18:08:58 EST

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > it can produce such a flow on SMP, or if you add in a third non-RT
> > task (task-C). Agreed?
>
> here's the 4-task flow. I've simplified the operations to make it easier
> to overview: "L1-success means" 'task locked lock1 and got it'.
> "L1-wait" means it tried to get lock1 but has to wait. "RT-prio" means a
> non-RT task got boosted to RT priority. "old-prio" means priority got
> restored to the original non-RT value. "UL-1" means 'unlocked lock1'.
>
> task-A task-B task-C task-RT
> L2-success
> L1-success
> L1-wait
> . L2-wait
> . boost-A
> RT-prio . .
> L1-wait . .
> boost-B . .
> . RT-prio . .
> . [ 1 ms ] . .
> . UL-1 . .
> . !RT-prio . .
> get-L1 . .
> [ 1 ms ] . .
> UL-1 . .
> get-L1 .
> UL-2 .
> old-prio .
> get-L2
> L1-wait
> boost-C
> RT-prio .
> [ 1 msec ] .
> UL-1 .
> old-prio .
> get-L1
> [ success ]
>
> this is a 3 milliseconds worst-case. Ok?
>
> Ingo

Now I see it! The reason is that task-C is _given_ the lock by task A.
The action of transfering the lock from A to C is done in A's context with
RT-prio.
My line of thinking was that although task-C is in the wait queue of lock1
it still actively have to go in and _take_ the lock. In that kind of setup
task-RT would get i first on UP. I have a detailed description of such
a design below but first I have to point out that the formula for the
worst case delay is not
N*(N+1)/2
but
2^N-1
! Why? Let us say lock1 is replaced by a locking structure which is N
deep in the above examble. The worst case delay on locking on that
structure is f(N). When the extra lockN+1 is added we thus get
f(N+1) = 2*f(N) +1
because both task B and task C have to lock on the N depth structure
giving 2*f(N) and we have to wait for task A to finish giving the +1.
The solution to that recursive equation when f(0) = 0 is
f(N) = 2^N -1
I.e.
N f(N)
0 0
1 1
2 3
3 7
4 15

My tests doesn't show that - but it requires 2^N tasks to reproduce. I am
trying to do that now.

Ok, back to a design making
f(N) = N
on UP:

When I made the mutex in U9.2-priom I originally made it like
that: In mutex_unlock() owner was set to NULL and the first task awaken.
But a high priority task could at that point get in and snap the mutex in
front of the newly awoken task. That setup would make stuff work better on
UP.

I have come to think about it in terms of state machines. In the current
implementation a mutex can have the following states: unlocked, owned by
task A, owned by task B, etc.. All transitions are possible, i.e.
unlocked -> task B -> task A -> unlocked.
The one I started out coding the only allowed transitions were between
unlocked and task X. Task B -> task A was not allowed. Task B simply set
the state to unlocked, woke up task A, which the _most likely_ would get
in and get the mutex:
unlocked -> task B -> unlocked -> task A -> unlocked
Epsecially on a SMB system task C can however get in and "steal" it before
task A.

We would fix the discussed problem on UP as well as the problem of the
above implementation by introducing a new state called "released". Allowed
transitions would be
unlocked->task B
task B->unlocked
task B->released
released->task C
So what does "released" mean? It means that task B is giving the task to
another - but it will _not_ pick the new owner. It will simply wake up the
highest priority task on the wait queue and set the mutex in "released"
state. When another task A, which could be the newly awoken task, then
tries to lock a mutex in "released" state, task A will only take the mutex
if it has higher priority than any on the wait-list. Otherwise task A will
block on the mutex as usual. In more detailed pseudo code:

__mutex_down:
try_again:
switch(mutex->state)
case unlocked: /* the most common case, optimize for this */
mutex->state = owned by current
return;
case released:
if(current->prio <= first_on_wait_queue->prio)
mutex->state = owned by current
return
/* fall through */
case locked by A:
add current to wait-queue
schedule()
remove current from wait-queue
goto try_again;

__mutex_up:
if(likely(list_empty(mutex->wait_queue)))
mutex->state = unlocked;
return

wake_first_waiter(mutex->wait_queue)
mutex->state = released
reset priority
return

Invariant: When the mutex is "released" there is always one task which
is in the wait queue in state "running" comming back to _try_ to take the
mutex.

I think this algorithm would guarantie a latency of depth * 1ms on UP
Let us try to repeate the discussed case on _UP_:

task-A task-B task-C task-RT
L2-success
L1-success
L1-wait
. L2-wait
. boost-A
RT-prio . .
L1-wait . .
boost-B . .
. RT-prio . .
. [ 1 ms ] . .
. L1 -> released . .
[woken up] !RT-prio . .
get-L1 . .
[ 1 ms ] . .
L1 -> released [set running] .
L2 -> released [set running]
old-prio .
get-L2
get-l1
L1->released
L2->unlocked
done!
get-L1 .

The reason task RT gets L1 before task C is because C is starved and wont
be able to change the state of the mutex from "released" to "owned by C".
before task RT has done it. On the other hand task C wont notice that
task RT got there first because task RT gets in there does it's stuff
and puts the mutex back in released state while C is sitting quitely on
the run-queue.
On a SMP system task C will not be starved like that and will get L1
immediately.

Esben