Re: Problem with ioctl command TCGETS

From: Tomas Carnecky
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 08:19:13 EST

Al Viro wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:07:04PM +0100, Tomas Carnecky wrote:

Think read(2)/write(2). We already have several barfbags too many,
and that includes both ioctl() and setsockopt(). We are stuck with
them for compatibility reasons, but why the hell would we need yet
another one?

And what's the option? So without ioctl, how would you reaplace this:
ioctl(cdrom_fd, CDROMEJECT, 0)?

Which part of "we are stuck with them" is not clear enough? If you insist
on using the same descriptor for data and for out-of-band mess - no, you
can't get anything saner. If you do not, you can; it's that simple...

Ok, I know ioctl is bad, but please tell me how to replace them, that's
all I want to know. Did you propose any other mechanism which could
replace ioctl? Or do you think such things (eject the cdrom) are not
meant to be done from applications?
I certainly don't insist on using them, but I don't see (yet) any way
how to replace them. Please enlighten me.

tom