Re: Kernel thoughts of a Linux user

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 14:09:32 EST

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 12:31:05PM +0100, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> Helge Hafting wrote:
> >>From the [ruby patch] documentation:
> >>The main problem up to this date (November 2004) is that linux kernel
> >>has only one behaviour regarding multiple keyboards : any key pressed
> >>catched on any keyboard is redirected to the one and only active
> >>Virtual Terminal (VT).
> >>
> >>Will this be changed/improved when the console code is moved into
> >>userspace, like some have proposed?
> >

> >I don't know about any userspace console, but the ruby patch lets
> >you have several independent active VTs at the same time. So
> >the above mentioned problem is solved - they keyboards does
> >not interfere with each other.
> >

> I think the it would be much nicer to habe the console code in
> userspace, ruby is only a patch, not in the mainline kernel, and AFAIK
> not even in any experimental (-mm/-ac/-etc) tree.

So what?
It may not be ready for inclusion yet, how does that matter?
It is being worked on. I see problems with a userspace implememtation,
the console have to be available - but a userspace console
can be killed. By the never perfect OOM-killer, for example.

> There are many aproaches how to solve the problem of having more than
> one ative VT, and the userspace console seems to be the nicest one.

Why nicest?
Of course ruby isn't there right now - but is there a working
userspace console anywhere?

> I know that Jon Smirl wrote an email some time ago, here it is:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/8/2/111, look at point 15. I like the idea and
> I've written him several times, but he didn't answer :(

Interesting ideas and many good points there. The console is
only a small part of it though, it seems to be mostly
2D/3D/framebuffer/drm problems.

A console is a small thing and separating it from the rest
is a good idea. I am not so sure putting it in userspace is
though.

Helge Hafting