2.6.10-rc1 broke apmd

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 06:39:26 EST

Starting with 2.6.10-rc1, date and time on my old APM-based
laptop is messed up after a resume. Specifically, Emacs and
xclock both make a huge forward leap and then stop updating
their current time displays.

The cause is the "jiffies += sleep_length * HZ;" addition
to arch/i386/kernel/time.c:time_resume() which is in conflict
with the hwlock --hctosys that the APM daemon normally does
at resume.

Preventing apmd from updating the system time does eliminate
the problems I described, but this requires kernel-version
dependent settings in user-space, which is ugly and fragile.

Just FYI. I don't have a nice solution yet.

/Mikael