Re: [patch 4/10] s390: network driver.

From: Thomas Spatzier
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 11:44:33 EST

Paul Jakma <paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote on 29.11.2004 17:30:23:
> Well, if the kernel is going to queue these packets without notifying
> us, we absolutely *must* have some way to flush those queues. Sending
> stale packets many minutes after the application generated them could
> have serious consequences for routing (eg, think sending RIP, IPv4
> IRDP or v6 RAs which are no longer valid - client receives them and
> installs routes which are long invalid and loses connectivity to some
> part of the network).

Yes, for the examples you mentioned the app should better be notified.
However, AFAICS, there are no such notification mechanisms on a
per-packet basis implemented in the kernel.
And I doubt that they are going to be implemented.

> I'd be very interested to hear advice from the kernel gurus (eg "god,
> dont be so stupid, do xyz in your application instead"). We can
> accomodate whatever kernel wants as long as its workable.

Good suggestion, if anyone has an interesting and feasible solution
I will be happy to integrate it. So far, however, it don't see one and I
would point people being worried about lost packets to TCP.

Regards,
Thomas.