Re: file as a directory

From: Peter Foldiak
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 18:08:13 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:

Now think about files with other formats, for instance the (in)famous
sendmail.cf, or less structured stuff like you find in /etc/init.d/, or
just Postgres databases (with fun stuff like permissions on records and
fields)... or just people groping in /etc/passwd wanting to find the whole
entry (not just one field), or perhaps look at the 15th character of the
entry for John Doe.

This way lies utter madness (what format description should be applied to
what file this time around?). Plus shove all this garbage into the kernel?!

I was suggesting this idea mainly form XML files, where the tags define the parts clearly.
In addition, I was suggesting that some of the XPath syntax (normally used for within-XML selection) could be extended above the file level into the file system.
The problems you mention are all related to non-XML file format issues, which was only a minor comment in parenthesis in my original mail. I am happy to do it only for XML to begin with (and if possible later see if it can be done for SOME non-XML formats). Peter