Re: user- vs kernel-level resource sandbox for Linux?

From: Marek Habersack
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 21:46:06 EST

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:13:03AM +1100, Peter Chubb scribbled:

> Jeff> grendel@xxxxxxxxxxx said:
> >> I would appreciate any pointers to the userland solutions for that
> >> problem (if any exist) before I resort to Xen/UML.
>
> Jeff> UML would be exactly what you're looking for.
>
> Jeff> Jeff
>
> apart from the performance hit :-(
that's the problem...

> There have been a number of different approaches proposed in the past
> to limit real memory usage per-process; search for RSS limit in the
> archives.
per-process isn't enough. I specifically need something to limit the memory
usage on a more global scale - per user ID or per process group or a similar
way of grouping related processes. That's the only way to tame processes
like apache. At this point the option I'm considering is Xen, unless I can
find a userland solution to the problem...

regards,

marek