Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 15:54:52 EST

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Mariusz Mazur wrote:

> Facts:
> - current __KERNEL__ stuff is crap;

Fact: you're wrong. I _constantly_ get emails when something breaks. It
doesn't happen all that often, but it happens.

IOW, I _know_ from personal experience that people depend on it. No ifs,
buts and maybes about it.

> People in this thread are trying to force you to agree to a specific location
> where stuff like the above mentioned mtd can go to and to start accepting
> patches (afaik there were a number of patches trying to introduce that
> userland dir - all of them ignored). That's (mostly) all.

No. People in this thread have almost uniformly ignored my arguments.

If it's MTD-specific, nobody _cares_ where it goes. Somebody take a
fricking flying leap of faith here.

If that's all that people want, I hereby proclaim that

include/asm-xxx/user/xxxx.h
include/user/xxxx.h

is reserved for user-visible stuff. And now you can send me small and
localized patches that fix a _particular_ gripe.

But claiming that __KERNEL__ doesn't work is clearly a bunch of crapola.
As is the notion that you can somehow do it all. We do it in small pieces.

Happy now?

Linus