Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 18:51:54 EST

Al Viro wrote:
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:44:21PM +0100, Mariusz Mazur wrote:

Wrong. These dirs must be linked to /usr/include so they must have more meaningfull names.

WTF? I've got a dozen kernel trees hanging around, which one (and WTF any,
while we are at it) should be "linked to"?

Just my point of view, but I'd love to have /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm linked to the headers for the currently running kernel.

For a while I was playing with adding a bunch of new syscalls, and it sure would have been nice to be able to just include <asm/unistd.h> and get the up-to-date syscalls for whatever kernel I happened to be running.

I've since switched to using a device node and doing ioctl() calls to get around this, but the issue still stands as I need to either import the ioctl() command numbers and data types, or else I have to duplicate the header in userspace and keep the two versions up to date.

Chris