Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 19:02:03 EST

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 14:55 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Matt Mackall wrote:
> >
> > So we follow dhowell's plan with the following additions:
>
> No.
>
> We do _not_ move stuff over that is questionable.
>
> I thought that was clear by now. The rules are:
> - we only move things that _have_ to move
> - we don't break existing programs, and no "but they are broken already"
> is not an excuse.
> - we only move things where that _particular_ move can be shown to be
> beneficial.
>
> No whole-sale moves. No "let's break things that I think are broken". No
> "let's change things because we can".
>
> Well-defined moves. Both in content _and_ in reason.

Fine. And yes, we do it piecemeal with each part being given individual
consideration.

I'd like to aim for a conclusion where everything which userspace needs
is in the new directories and nothing is required from the private
directories any more. But let's start with the really important parts
which really _are_ crying out to be fixed.

--
dwmw2