Re: Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.31-13

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 02:17:50 EST

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:52, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 10:26, K.R. Foley wrote:
>> >"<some process> is being piggy... Read missed before next
>> > interrupt"
>> >
>> >2) tvtime is probably running at a RT priority of 99. The IRQ
>> > handler for the rtc defaults to 48-49 (I think). If you didn't
>> > already do so, you should bump the priority up as in:
>> >
>> >chrt -f -p 99 `/sbin/pidof 'IRQ 8'`
>>
>> [root@coyote root]# chrt -f -p 99 `/sbin/pidof 'IRQ 8'`
>> bash: chrt: command not found
>>
>> chrt is an unknown command here. WTH? Basicly an FC2 system.
>
>Install the package first (from an FC2 system)
>
>zwane@r3000 ~ {0:1} rpm -qif `which chrt`
>Name : schedutils Relocations: (not
> relocatable) Version : 1.3.0
> Vendor: Red Hat, Inc. Release : 6
> Build Date: Tue 17 Feb 2004 10:16:15 MST
>Install Date: Tue 13 Jul 2004 11:13:52 MDT Build Host:
> tweety.devel.redhat.com Group : Applications/System
> Source RPM: schedutils-1.3.0-6.src.rpm Size : 39412
> License: GPL Signature : DSA/SHA1, Thu 06 May
> 2004 16:36:57 MDT, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2 Packager : Red Hat,
> Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> Summary : Utilities
> for manipulating process scheduler attributes Description :
> schedutils is a set of utilities for retrieving and manipulating
> process scheduler-related attributes, such as real-time parameters
> and CPU affinity.
>
>This package includes the chrt and taskset utilities.
>
>Install this package if you need to set or get scheduler-related
>attributes.

Ok, I installed it just now, and ran it twice, once before running
tvtime, and once after, but it made no visible difference in the log
input, which is still being very verbose and the delays it reports
also remain the same.

So it would appear that this isn't the nail my hammer needs. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)