Re: Kernel 2.6 with X (xorg) 4.4 (eats more CPU power)

From: Miguel Angel Flores
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 05:59:26 EST

Its just an idea but... ¿Have you configured your 2.6 kernel as a Preemptive kernel?

Cheers,
MaF

Joe Hsu escribió:

In contrast, I've tried Kernel 2.4 with same X, same program, and same machine. It consumes almost zero of CPU resource( no matter it runs on a P4 1.xG or P4 3.0G and no
matter it runs on 4.4 or 4.2 X-server).

Same phenomenon happened when I ran 4 mpeg4 playback programs (each 320x240, 30 frames per second, no scaling).
It seems that these programs and X consume almost zero of CPU power when the KERNEL HZ is 100. (I've tried Robert Love's variable HZ patch to kernel 2.4 and change HZ to 1000........Same phenomenon as 2.6)