Re: [RFC] misleading error message

From: David Ford
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 07:35:56 EST

Random side thoughts..

a) is there a simple way to search for symbols in a running kernel's memory area that
b) can differentiate between module and static, and if so
c) is there an interest in a tiny tool that scripts could use to determine existing support?

I want to be able to request information about a whooplesnoople without it triggering a module load request, to determine if it's compiled in statically. I want to be able to distinguish static a static whooplesnoople from a modularly loaded whooplesnoople.

i.e.
Scott ~$ kernfunctionexists "iptables"
builtin

Other possible values:
module
not found

The tool would do the work of doing a lookup on "iptables" to match it with a certain name. I.e "irda" would be resolved to a known proper irda_function_name() value.

The purpose of this is not to be able to research any given function name in the kernel, but to look for major support functions such as iptables.

David