Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 10:37:48 EST

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> How is a class interface different from an external API?

It's different from an external API exactly because it's not "external".

I dunno about you, but the (admittedly few) explicitly object-oriented
projects I've seen from the inside, the class interface is something that
you consider internal to your project, and are willing to change.

In Linux, the VFS layer comes pretty close: it's really very much about
object-oriented programming, except the implementation is explicit rather
than left up to the programmer. And we have very explicit rules on how
you're supposed to do things: some are even _documented_ (oh, horrors) in
Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt.

And yes, in this kind of environment I actually think "contract" makes
some kind of sense, because it is an internal thing that _has_ come out of
agreement on both sides, and where changes need to be agreed upon by both
user and definition. It's not an a-priori interface, it's something where
both sides are intimately involved.

> I think Alexandre's definition has in fact originated from the "Design
> by Contract" cult. And it's all pretty simple stuff:
>
> - You need to call a function in a certain way (precondition). The
> caller fills this part
> of the contract. Now the caller can _expect_ something from the
> function (see below).
> - The function does what it has promised to do and optionally
> returns some values
> (postcondition). The callee fills this part of the contract.
> - The function expects some parts of the system state to remain stable during
> execution (invariants). In the kernel, you use BUG_ON for these btw.
>
> So there's nothing new here really. However, if your _tools_ support
> Design by Contract, you can be explicit about this and enforce the
> 'contract' during compile-time or run-time.
>
> And I think you're already doing this with your "require spinlock to
> be taken" sparse thingy...

Yes. And I think it makes sense _internally_ for a project.

But pretty much by definition, that's not an ABI. That's an "internal
interfaces" kind of thing.

> On Wed, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > IOW, I don't find your arguments or your language usage in the least
> > convincing. But hey, I did all my CS stuff outside of the US, whatever.
>
> I don't think it's an US thing. At the university you did your CS
> stuff, we (well at least I) use the term 'contract' pretty much the
> same way Alexandre does...

It may also be a new thing. Dammit, when I started, we had USCD Pascal,
and we were happy. None of this OO stuff ;)

Linus