Re: page fault scalability patch V12 [0/7]: Overview andperformance tests

From: cliff white
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 12:37:06 EST

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:02:17 -0800
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > We need to be be achieving higher-quality major releases than we did in
> > > 2.6.8 and 2.6.9. Really the only tool we have to ensure this is longer
> > > stabilisation periods.
> >

> > I'm still hoping that distros (like my employer) and orgs like OSDL will
> > step up, and hook 2.6.x BK snapshots into daily test harnesses.
>
> I believe that both IBM and OSDL are doing this, or are getting geared up
> to do this. With both Linus bk and -mm.

Gee, OSDL has been doing this sort of testing for > 1 years now. Getting
bandwidth to look at the results has been a problem. We need more eyeballs
and community support badly, i'm very glad Marcelo has shown recent interest.

> However I have my doubts about how useful it will end up being. These test
> suites don't seem to pick up many regressions. I've challenged Gerrit to
> bugs would have been detected by the test suite.

> My suspicion is that the answer will be "a very small proportion", and that
> really is the bottom line.
>
> We simply get far better coverage testing by releasing code, because of all
> the wild, whacky and weird things which people do with their computers.
> Bless them.
>
> > Something like John Cherry's reports to lkml on warnings and errors
> > would be darned useful. His reports are IMO an ideal model: show
> > day-to-day _changes_ in test results. Don't just dump a huge list of
> > testsuite results, results which are often clogged with expected
> > failures and testsuite bug noise.
> >

> Yes, we need humans between the tests and the developers. Someone who has
> good experience with the tests and who can say "hey, something changed
> when I do X". If nothing changed, we don't hear anything.

I would agree, and would do almost anything to help/assist/enable any humans
interested. We need some expertise on when to run certain tests, to avoid
data overload.
I've noticed that when developer's submit test results with a patch, it sometimes
helps in the decision on patch acceptance. Is there a way to promote this sort of
behaviour?
cliffw
OSDL

> It's a developer role, not a testing role. All testing is, really.
> --

The church is near, but the road is icy.
The bar is far, but i will walk carefully. - Russian proverb