Re: Contribute - How to

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 00:02:14 EST

ram mohan wrote:
I am interested to work in the following areas:
1. embedded systems
2. networking

I was wondering how can I contribute in embedded
without actual hardware.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions on that.

For Linux networking patches and discussion, please
use the "netdev" mailing list:
netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
You can subscribe to it at:
http://oss.sgi.com/ecartis
and the netdev archives are at:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/netdev/archive/

--- "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

ram mohan wrote:

Hi,
I am willing to contribute to the development of

Linux

kernel. I googled a bit and found that I should

join

the list and then I can go ahead.

I would like to know.
1. What are the features currently being worked

upon?
It's all over the map:
Large-systems performance & scalability.
Embedded. Desktop issues.
Journaling + extents-based filesystems.
Drivers (new development in Infiniband and iscsi).
VM fixes. Processor scheduling improvements.
IO scheduler improvements.
Fixing bugs. :)

2. Are there any things-to-do lists maintained?

There are by some projects, others are more informal
and
just discuss TODO on a mailing list.

3. How are new features selected?

a. scratch your favorite itch
or
b. what someone pays for

What do you want to work on?

4. Can I suggest new features?

Of course. But part of the Linux culture is that
ideas/suggestions don't carry much weight. It's
sometimes phrased as:
Shut up and code.
or
Show us the code.