Kernel Thread in Device Driver

From: Kiran Kumar Gaitonde
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 05:12:31 EST

Hi all.

I am working on a device driver with the device interrupts are actaully serviced in a kernel thread and not in the interrupt handler registered with the kernel. The interrupt handler justs wakes up the kthread when a interrupt occurs. This is done as we need to use semaphores while performing IO to sync the read and writes.
Now I have come across a situation where the kthread is consuming 70% of CPU time as it is in a loop to service the interrupts happening very very fast, and it is rearly saying schedule(). The performance of the application which uses this device to communicate, is not good as it is not getting CPU at the right time.

Can anybody tell me what may be the problem. Also any suggestions to overcome this issue?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
Kiran Gaitonde.