Re: libata ICH5 2.4.28 kernel oops

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 09:56:49 EST

EC wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting trouble to upgrade from 2.4.27 to 2.4.28 since kernel oopses on
start. That seems to be related to libata and my SATA configuration. I'm
using a plain vanilla kernel (no patches).

I have a Supermicro P4SCI with a PIV (SATA chipset ICH5), latest bios (1.1),
one disk (SATA), BIOS configured to SATA Only (but enhanced mode does the
same. Same kernel configuration used to work with 2.4.27 with the libata
patch. I'm not sure I'm supposed to apply the new 2.4.28 libata patch but
anyway with or without it kernel crashes about here :

SCSI subsystem driver Revision : 1.0...
ata1 : SATA max UDMA/133 : cmd 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdam 0xF000 irq 14
ata1 : dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133...
ata1 : dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
Unable to handle Kernel NULL pointer dereference....

Give us the oops.

See REPORTING-BUGS in the kernel tree for more info.

Jeff