Re: How to add/drop SCSI drives from within the driver?

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 12:17:54 EST

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:29:29AM -0500, Bagalkote, Sreenivas wrote:
> I agree. The sysfs method would have been the most logical way of doing it.
> But then application becomes sysfs dependent. We really cannot do that.

Why? With my efibootmgr (a userspace app like your
megalib/megamgr/megamon), it looks for the existance of
/sys/whatever/, and then operates with that if it is present. Else it
looks for the existance of /proc/whatever (in your case
/proc/scsi/scsi) and does likewise. No driver ioctl needed.

> Given that we have to do it from within the driver, is whatever I am doing
> right?

Doing it within the driver means you've got to release a new driver
for each affected OS, to avoid having to update the userspace app on
each OS. I claim it's much easier to update a userspace lib/app than
it is to update a driver on each installed system.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch