Re: distinguish kernel thread / user task

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 14:25:33 EST

Sylvain wrote:
Hi all,

I have little question while doing some kernel implementation.
How can I distinguish whether a task_struct is actually kernel thread
or mere user task?

My idea was to look at task_struct "mm" field to discriminate them,
but that was wrong...

Thanks,

Sylvain

To the scheduler, a thread is a thread. It doesn't care if it's a kernel thread or not. The difference is execution context, which is cpu-dependant. For example, on x86 the difference is in the code segment the task runs in. Kernel threads run in KERNEL_CS (ring 0), and user threads run USER_CS (or any other ring 3 code segment, or vm86 mode set in eflags). Other cpus might have a flag in the status register.

What are you trying to do that you need to know whether a thread is kernel or user? I suppose if there were a compelling enough reason, a kernel/user flag could be added to the task struct, set in do_fork() for kernel threads, and cleared by execve().

--
Brian Gerst