Re: Booting 2.6.10-rc3

From: Jim Nelson
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 15:09:16 EST

Anandraj wrote:
hi,
My linux box with 2.6.9 kernel patched with 2.6.10-rc3 patch doesnot
come up.
It shows the following while booting-

root(hd0,4)
Filesystem type is ext2fs , partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-rc3 ro root=LABLE=/ rhgb quiet

try root=LABEL=/.

If that does not work, try passing the root fs as something like:

root=/dev/hda3

or wherever your root filesystem is.

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400,size=0x187b53]
initrd /initrd-2.6.10-rc3.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x1fcb1000,0x2eb22 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting kernel
audit(1102189352.204:0):initialized
Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivo_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed : 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Kenel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try Passing init=option to
kernel.

I am using Fedora 2 distro!
The default kernel 2.6.5-1.358 that comes along with the distro works !

I had looked into various forums for "mount: error 6 mounting ext3",
none of the aswers given by them worked,
the answers like , making your ext3 module inbuilt ,also does not work !

Mine is a simple desktop PC with Pentium 4 512MB RAM, it does not deal
with any SCSI stuff!
Can somebody help me on this !! ??

If you did not build an initrd, you do not need reference to an initrd in the grub.conf file.

TIA,
Anand