Re: rescan partitions returns EIO since 2.6.8

From: Martin Pool
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 19:58:18 EST

On 5 Dec 2004, Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx wrote:
> Martin Pool changed the behaviour of the BLKRRPART ioctl in 2.6.8.
> The effect is that one now gets an I/O error when first
> partitioning an empty disk:

> # sfdisk /dev/sda
> Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ...
> BLKRRPART: Input/output error

To me it seems more correct that a request to read the partition table
should fail if the partition table can't be read. I had some code
that did care to know the difference, but if you really want to roll
it back I won't object.

fdisk, cfdisk and parted all just give a warning in this case. You
can tell sfdisk to ignore the error with --no-reread.

--
Martin