Re: 2.6.10-rc[2|3] protection fault on /proc/devices

From: Georg Schild
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 04:05:34 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Georg Schild <dangertools@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Since 2.6.10-rc2 I am having problems accessing /proc/devices. On startup some init-skripts access this node and print out a protection fault. i am having this on pcmcia and swap startup. My system is an amd64 @3000+ in an Acer Aspire 1501Lmi at 64bit mode running gentoo. .config is the same as on 2.6.10-rc1 which works good. cat on /proc/devices gives the same problems. The kernel has just a patch for wbsd (builtin mmc-cardreader) from Pierre Ossman in use, everything else is vanilla. Does anyone know of this issue and perhaps on how to solve this?

Beyond that, perhaps something scribbled on the data structures in there. Setting CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG and/or CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC might turn
something up.

I don't know what caused the kernel to give up baging me but it did. I enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB and CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG and now everything works okay. I have inserted the patch you gave me and the wbsd-patch is inserted too, everything works now, don't know why, i can cat /proc/devices too. Loading modules is not a problem too.

cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty