Re: wait_event_interruptible

From: Hendrik Wiese
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 08:58:13 EST

Roland Dreier wrote:

Hendrik> Hello, I created a kernel thread inside of my driver by
Hendrik> calling the function kernel_thread with a function
Hendrik> pointer. Now this thread calls daemonize and allow_signal
Hendrik> and then it runs a forever loop until it is terminated by
Hendrik> the kernel (unloading the driver etc). And because it is
Hendrik> written in the documentation I put the thread asleep by
Hendrik> calling wait_event_interruptible with a wait queue called
Hendrik> "dpn_wq_run" inside the forever loop. Now is it right
Hendrik> that a wake_up_interruptible in the ISR has to wake up
Hendrik> the thread so it continues its work? If yes... why isn't
Hendrik> that working for me? I called wait_event_interruptible
Hendrik> with that dpn_wq_run inside the kernel thread and do a
Hendrik> wake_up_interruptible inside the ISR with the same
Hendrik> dpn_wq_run. But my kernel thread won't wake up. Is there
Hendrik> anything else I have to do to the wait queue, but calling
Hendrik> init_wait_queue on it?

wait_event_interruptible() will sleep until your ISR wakes it up, but
for your thread to run, you also need to make sure that the condition
being tested by wait_event_interruptible() is true (otherwise it will

wait_event_interruptible(&my_wait, work != 0);

then your ISR needs to do

work = 1;
wake_up_interruptible(&my_wait);

If you don't set work, the wake_up will have no effect.

- R.

Ah, yes. That works. Thanks a lot.

Is it the right way checking for available data inside the kernel thread? I experimentally put the
code that checks and reads data from the hardware from the kernel thread into a function
directly called by the ISR and that works too. Now what is the better way of receiving data?
Within the kernel thread woken up by the ISR or within the ISR itself (or a sub function
called by the ISR)?

Thanks again