RE: Correctly determine amount of "free memory"

From: Gregory Giguashvili
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 11:01:47 EST

Experimenting with my simple memory allocation program for little more
time, I found that Free=MemTotal-Active gives kind of rough
approximation to the "free" memory amount. Can I make it somehow better?

What about SwapCached or Inact_target? Are there any pointers to the
information I might find useful on this subject other than
http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/meminfo.html?

Thanks
Giga
P.S. I need this to work with 2.4.19+ and 2.6 kernels...