Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.32-6

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 11:54:05 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:07 -0600, K.R. Foley wrote:

I am still confused about one thing, unrelated to this. If RT tasks never expire and thus are never moved to the expired array??? Does that imply that we never switch the active and expired arrays? If so how do tasks that do expire get moved back into the active array?

I think that RT tasks use a completely different scheduling mechanism
that bypasses the active/expired array.

Lee

Please don't misunderstand. I am not arguing with you because obviously I am not really intimate with this code, but if the above statement is true then I am even more confused than I thought. I don't see any such distinctions in the scheduler code. In fact it looks to me like the whole scheduler is built on the premise of allowing RT tasks to be just like other tasks with a few exceptions, one of which is that RT tasks never hit the expired task array.

kr