Re: How to measure flow of time using Time Stamp Counter on i386machines

From: linux-os
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 15:01:40 EST

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, krishna wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to measure flow of time using Time Stamp Counter on pentium machines.
Which documentation could help me in understanding it.

Regards,
Krishna Chaitanya
-

The rdtsc instruction returns the CPU clocks that have occurred
since the time the machine was started. If you assemble the
provided code as:

as -o tim.o tim.S

... then link this with your code, it will return the CPU clocks
that have occurred between two successive calls..

extern long long tim(void);

code()
{
long long total;

(void)tim(); // Initialize
do_something(); // Some code to measure
total = tim(); // Get measurement

printf("Total CPU clocks are %lld\n", total);

}

-------------
#
# This is free software written by Richard B. Johnson. No
# copyright is claimed. It is also not guaranteed to do anything
# useful.
#
#

.data
lastl: .long 0
lasth: .long 0
.text
.align 8 .globl tim
.type tim@function

#
# Return the CPU clock difference between successive calls.
#
tim: pushl %ebx
rdtsc
movl (lastl), %ebx # Get last low longword
movl (lasth), %ecx # Get last high longword
movl %eax, (lastl) # Save current low longword
movl %edx, (lasth) # Save current high longword
subl %ebx, %eax # Current - last
sbbl %ecx, %edx # Same with borrow
popl %ebx
ret
.end

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.