Re: Limiting program swap

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 15:40:20 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
I have several machine of various memory sizes which suffer from really poor performance when doing backups. This appears to be because all the programs other than the backup quickly get swapped to make room for i/o buffers.

Is there some standard portable way to prevent this, either by reserving some memory for programs which will not get swapped regardless of i/o pressure, or alternatively limiting the total memory used for i/o buffers, dcache, and similar things?

I'm wondering if turning the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness knob would help, but I'll honestly admit that I don't know.

--
Jesper Juhl