doubt about "switch" - default case in af_inet.c

From: Phani Kandula
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 08:59:05 EST

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the Linux. I'm using 2.6.8 kernel.
In /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/af_inet.c I came across this...
<code>
switch (sock->state) {
default:
//do something..
goto out;
case SS_CONNECTED:
//do something..
goto out;
case SS_CONNECTING:
//do something..
break;
case SS_UNCONNECTED:
//do something..
break;
}
</code>

Is there any advantage in having 'default' as the first case?
My understanding is that it will be useful only when 'default' is the
most likely case (in general).

Even then, my doubt: How will compiler (say gcc) implement 'default'
as the first value? Program is supposed to see all the cases and then
decide 'default'. Is this correct?

So, is this the best way to do it? please clarify..

Thanks,
Phani