Re: [audit] Upstream solution for auditing file system objects

From: Robert Love
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 22:42:28 EST

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 02:50 +0000, Timothy Chavez wrote:

Hi, Timothy. You work for IBM?

> Some way for inotify to "notify" other parts of the kernel of file
> system activity would be good. This is the arguement I'd like to use.
> If inotify can notify userspace apps of activity/events, why can't it
> notify kernel subsystems? There might be a very good reason as to why
> this can't be so. "Just because" might be it :-) Whatever the reason,
> it'd be good to hear. I wouldn't want to destroy or degrade the
> intended use of inotify, but expand it. If that's not doable, then
> there's no way we can use inotify. This would have to be something
> John and Rob and whoever else contributes to Inotify would like in
> addition to the community as a whole.

I do not think it makes any sense for inotify to be the mechanism that
implements auditing. What you want is a general file event mechanism at
the level and time that we currently do the inotify hooks. I agree,
that is good. What you also want is to do is hack into inotify your
auditing code. I don't like that--I don't want inotify to grow into a
generic file system tap.

What we both need, ultimately, is a generic file change notification
system. This way inotify, dnotify, your audit thing, and whatever else
can hook into the filesystem as desired.

Subverting the inotify project to add this functionality now will only
hurt inotify. We are not yet in the kernel and we need to streamline
and simplify ourselves, not bloat and featurize. Besides, indeed, we
are not in the kernel yet--you can just as easily add the hooks
yourself.

So my position would be that I am all for moving the inotify hooks to
generic file change hooks, but that needs to be done either once inotify
is in the kernel proper or as a separate project. Then inotify can be
one consumer of the hooks and auditing another.

If you want to move forward with a project to hook file system events,
go for it. Regardless, I think that you should post to lkml your
intentions.

Best,

Robert Love