Re: page fault scalability patch V12 [0/7]: Overview and performancetests

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 00:21:48 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 15:54 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

The page-freed-before-update_mmu_cache issue can be solved in that way,
not the set_pte and update_mmu_cache not performed under the same ptl
section issue that you raised.

What is the problem with update_mmu_cache ? It doesn't need to be done
in the same lock section since it's approx. equivalent to a HW fault,
which doesn't take the ptl...

I don't think a problem has been observed, I think Hugh was just raising
it as a general issue.