Re: kernel (64bit) 4GB memory support

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 12:48:33 EST

Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 17:06, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Rudolf Usselmann wrote:

Could anybody tell me which of the previous (non 2.6.9) kernels
do support 4GB of main memory in 64 bit mode ?

64bit kernels have supported >4GB since their ports inception, AFAIK.

Your platform could limit this artificially, of course.

Yes, but it is currently broken (kernel panics). I wonder
if anybody knew which kernel does work for 64 bit and >4GB
of memory. I'm sure there must be people out there with
similar configurations to mine ....

All 2.6 kernels work with 64bit and >4GB memory, on my configurations (x86-64, ia64, and alpha).

It is a mistake to assume that all 64bit and/or >4GB is broken.

(Tiger K8W, dual Opteron)

Ok, we finally get a bit of useful information.

Are you CERTAIN that you are booting a 64bit kernel?
Is your memory PC1600, PC2100, or PC2700?
Is your memory installed in matched pairs?
Is all your memory ECC registered?
Is your BIOS at the latest version?

Once we get through the hardware issues, now it is time to do a binary search of 2.6 kernels, to see which one works for you. If no 2.6 kernels work for you, then give 2.4 kernels a try.

Jeff