Re: [Fwd: 2.6.10-rc3: tulip-driver: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed]

From: FRAHM Klaus
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 06:53:24 EST

> Definitely not compatible.
>
> And as noted in the previous email, I don't advise ifdown the NIC
> unless you can verify it will not corrupt the memory that was
> previously used for RX descriptors and RX buffers.
>
> OTOH, 100BT cards are *so* cheap, it should be possible to replace
> if it's not built-in on the motherboard.
>
> Sorry for the bad news and thanks for doing the extra tests.
>
> But still, I'm hopeing for two code changes as a result:
> 1) include CSR5 and CSR6 in the printk output
> 2) the date of the tulip driver revision needs to be updated (or dropped).
>
> thanks,
> grant

Hi Grant,

thanks for the analysis. It's good to know not to deactivate the NIC. I
never knowingly encoutered any real problem, but maybe there may been
other of problems which I did not attribute to the NIC. Normally I do
not deactivated the interface, but up to a few weeks ago the DHCP daemon
could do this in order to change the IP number. Now this is over and I
have since then a fixed IP number (because I am directly connected to
the DSLAM of my ISP, this is called "degroupage" in France as opposed to
IP/ADSL where one is only indirectly connected with Franc-Telecom).
I am actually using a "Freebox" as a modem which has recently, `let's
say', arisen some interest in the linux-kernel mailing list because it
runs Linux inside:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109936781417837&w=2

For the NIC I have mentioned in my first message that I have two NICs,
the other being a 3Com card which is mostly likely better. I will simply
switch the roles between my first and the second interface by exchanging
the aliases for eth0/1 in modprobes.conf. Then I use the Sitecom card
with the tulip driver only for the internal connection which is never
shut down and not so often used.

Greetings, Klaus.