Re: Unknown Issue.

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 12:52:39 EST

Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:

Ah, good question, yes I used xfs_repair, at this point I knew I had to
restore from backup and answered "y" to all questions. I am not sure
but I do not recall the log being dirty.

Hm, xfs_repair does not ask any questions.

In the logs on my main machine, it showed the following when it
attempted to mount the two filesystems (root and boot, /dev/hde4 and
/dev/hde1 respectively).

Dec 5 08:23:53 jpiszcz kernel: XFS internal error
XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO at line 1583 of file fs/xfs/xfs_alloc.c. Caller
0xc021de57
(having trouble replaying the log here)

Ok, so XVM has found something wrong at this point. Any chance the box had a power failure? Write caches on ide drives can wreak havoc with journaling filesystems... i.e. what happened between "the filesystem was working" and "i remounted the filesystem and got this"

As far as bad disk/memory, I have tested both systems with memtest86 and
the result was 0 errors, as far as the disks go, I have not experienced
any problems with either of them until I moved to 2.6.9/2.6.10-rc{1,2}.

ok

-Eric