Re: 2.6.10-rc3-mm1

From: Rudmer van Dijk
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 14:16:24 EST

On Monday 13 December 2004 17:15, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/
> >2.6.10-rc3-mm1/
> >
> > - Lots of new patches, lots of little fixes all over the place.
> >
> > - Probably the major change is the readahead rework, which may have
> > significant performance impacts on some workloads. Not necessarily
> > good, either...
> >
> > - See below for the list of 31 patches which I have pending for 2.6.10.
> > If there are other patches here which should go in, please let me know.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Fortunately with this -rc3-mm1 I no longer have the acpi_power_off problem
> that I had in -rc2-mm's, described in http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/12/12/110 .
>
> OTOH, while I had no problems with the previous mm's or with 2.6.10-rc3,
> with -rc3-mm1 kdm has an weird function: with kdm/unstable uptodate
> 4:3.3.1-3 from Debian it just restarts X when it's going to show the
> login/password form, restarting over and over.

saw it too with gdm on Gentoo, I tried to track it down but could not come up
with a solution... I'm now back to rc2-mm4

what I saw was this:
I have a radeon 9000:
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If
[Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Radeon
9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)

with rc3-mm1 X is complaining that it cannot find a device section for
PCI:1:0:1 even when I have created a device section for it...

I had another problem with rc3-mm4: during boot ntp-client runs but it fails
saying that the service is incorrect and that the server cannot be found.

this is with the same .config as for rc2-mm4 (regenerated by `make oldconfig`)

Rudmer