Re: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task

From: Voluspa
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 02:25:27 EST

At 2004-12-14 2:28:59 Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> BTW, somebody told me in a private email to try the oomkiller patch, but
> could not extract it from the Web archive, so I don't have the latest version
> of that :( I'd apreciate if anyone emailed that to me, or gave me a link.
or
> a pointer to instructions on getting it right from obe of the Web archives.

Final incarnation can be picked up at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110269783227867&w=2

But on my machine it doesn't address the issue you speak of. When I run something
as demanding as that (end of memory, eating a large chunk of swap) it behaves
like
yours. Gkrellm stops - no screen updates, mouse becomes very unresponsive etc.
Though
I saw that as "normal" for the workload.

In this appartment there's no difference between 2.6.9 patched with the kswapd
fix and
the oomkill patch, or 2.6.10-rc3 with or without oomkill patch. Can't comment
on 2.6.8
since I didn't exhaust memory with applications back then.

Mvh
Mats Johannesson