Re: Linux - open design??

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 06:20:34 EST

ram mohan wrote:

Hi All,
When we say Linux is open source and we have the sites
where we can download the source from, why is not
linux design (High Level and Low Level) not that well
publicised? (Or is it that I am not aware of - in

Rest assured that nobody is hiding the detailed low
and high level design from you. The reason it isn't
available for download is that it isn't written down at all.

which case I would like to know where it is.)

Note that all _changes_ to the design get discussed here,
so following this list over time gives a good idea about
low-level design.

I am looking for a traceability matrix- where I start
with requirements of Linux, dig into the
design(HLD/LLD) and then the source.

Linux wasn't made the paper way, which is why few such
documents exist. Of course you can dig up Linus' initial
announcement which describes what he wanted to make
at that time. . .

Helge Hafting