Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 17:10:34 EST

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > So forget about that stupid abortion called "uint32_t" already. It buys
> > you absolutely nothing.
>
> Now, what do we do with them when they are inside the kernel,
> far from any interfaces ? Live and let live ?

Yes. As long as they don't cause problems, I'm a big fan of "let
developers make their own choices". I think that uint32_t and friends are
totally useless in the kernel, but while I have strong opinions, I try to
not force those opinions on others too much.

Quite frankly, it's unlikely to cause problems in practice. Having strong
opinions and enjoying the occasional flame war is one thing. Trying to
rail against other people who don't share those opinions and force them to
change their code is a totally different thing.

[ It has absolutely nothing to do with me being lazy. Oh, no. I'm not
lazy. Much better to attribute it to some lofty goal like "live and let
live". If the two just _happen_ to co-incide, all the better ;-]

Linus