Re: file as a directory

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 00:20:33 EST

Peter Foldiak wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 17:24, Hans Reiser wrote:

Peter, I think you are right, though it might be useful to have the default be dirname/..../glued and to allow users to link dirname/..../filebody to dirname/..../something_else_if_they_want_it_to_not_be_glued, and to have dirname/..../filebody or whatever it is linked to be what they get if they read the directory as a file.

Yes. I assume you mean that dirname in itself should always be
interpreted as dirname/..../glued, which by default would be a linked to
dirname/..../filebody, the latter being the file content, right?

reversed:

dirname in itself should always be
interpreted as dirname/..../filebody, which by default would be a linked to
dirname/..../glued,

Also, a pseudofile (e.g. dirname/..../structure ?) could be used to
specify how the files should be glued together. A simple question is,
for instance, what separators to use between the components, and what
ordering to use when putting the component objects together. (This
pseudofile could also determine more complicated ways of composing
objects.)

Could be cool.

The component objects themselves could be full objects, so they
themselves could have sub-components.
Peter