Re: file as a directory

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 00:30:31 EST

David Masover wrote:

Peter Foldiak wrote:
| On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 17:24, Hans Reiser wrote:
|
|>Peter, I think you are right, though it might be useful to have the
|>default be dirname/..../glued and to allow users to link
|>dirname/..../filebody to
|>dirname/..../something_else_if_they_want_it_to_not_be_glued, and to have
|>dirname/..../filebody or whatever it is linked to be what they get if
|>they read the directory as a file.
|

| Yes. I assume you mean that dirname in itself should always be
| interpreted as dirname/..../glued, which by default would be a linked to
| dirname/..../filebody, the latter being the file content, right?

I think he means the other way.
cat foo
is the same as
cat foo/.../filebody
where "filebody" is some sort of link to (maybe) foo/.../glued.

Understand that you want to allow "normal" files which are not "glued"
anything, but also "glued" files which are composed of sub-files.

| Also, a pseudofile (e.g. dirname/..../structure ?) could be used to
| specify how the files should be glued together. A simple question is,
| for instance, what separators to use between the components, and what
| ordering to use when putting the component objects together. (This
| pseudofile could also determine more complicated ways of composing
| objects.)

If the filesystem does caching, I'd rather have a type of executable
which, read normally, appears as a stream of its own standard output.
You'd get the actual file as something like bar/.../source.

Interesting....

This could be done with pipes and daemons, but it's not as easy to
manage and seems impossible to do as efficiently (with built-in caching,
etc.)

Explain the value of caching executable output more please.

| The component objects themselves could be full objects, so they
| themselves could have sub-components.

Right.

Also, there should be an inverse. For instance, a file-as-directory type
object should have a "contents" object, usually a normal directory, but
which could conceivably be any type of object, including a code-ish
object which implements a filesystem. Accessing foo/ would be the same
as accessing foo/.../contents, only because "..." (or whatever we use
for meta-files) is outside the actual directory namespace,
foo/.../contents/... refers to the metas of object "contents", which are
different than the metas of object "foo".

Are you sure that having more than one "...." is needed? Hmmm, interesting, must think about it.

These two steps essentially create userspace "plugins", and do away with
having to mount other kernel layers such as lufs (or whatever its
current implementation is).

I don't follow this point above.

It does have one important implication, though:

It's important that "metas" or "..." or whatever we've decided on should
_not_ be mutable by a "userspace" plugin that I have described, nor
should any meta-files created by kernel plugins. There would be other
security implications, of course -- user should still not be able to
create files that are owned by other users and setuid. I'm not sure
where such checks should go, but we want mortal users to be able to add
whatever plugins they want, while super-users can feel safe using the
metas interface to manipulate user files.

I think the issues with directory-as-a-file were the same problems you
get when you allow hardlinked directories -- that you'd eventually have
to ditch reference counting for a garbage collector, which is hellishly
impractical. I don't have a solution to that, other than dropping
hardlinks entirely.

This issue is overblown. Other fields have solved this problem.

Hmm. Why do we need hardlinks? I forget.