Re: Understanding schedular and slab allocation

From: Sven Krohlas
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 11:14:47 EST

Hi,

>> Btw: is anybody working on the slab allocator as described in Bonwicks
>> 2001 paper?
> Linux already fronts the slab allocator with per-cpu pools.

Well, I haven't had such a deep look at the 2001 version (my topic was
the current implementation)...
I've seen the per-cpu pools. Bonwick talks in his paper of allocations in
guaranteed constant time (using vmem). Is this goal already achived in
Linux? There is a lock protecting the cache_chain, doesn't this hurt
scalability?

And what about the other improvements?

-vmem for allocating general resources
-A user-space implementation (well I know, that's a bit off topic here..)

Are they already implemented/is anybody working on this or are there
already known better solutions than Bonwicks suggestions?

Greetings,
Sven