Re: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 03:04:52 EST

Voluspa wrote:
Earlier today I wrote:

I find no problem when blender is the sole (large) application, but when a
distributed computing client is running in the background the reported

problems

surface. I use http://folding.stanford.edu for protein folding. It runs
with a default of nice 19 and sucks up every free CPU cycle. I've never
seen it interfere with anything prior to this swap issue - been running
it since 2000.

More testing done to find the breaking point. Running the folding client and blender:

2.6.8.1-bk2 is the last kernel without _any_ swapping problem (no screen freezes etc)

| 2.6.9-rc1 and three -bk forward have oopses and loss of keyboard in X. Can't test them.

2.6.9-rc1-bk4 is the first functional kernel where the freezes show up.

So it is a real regression.

Can you turn on magic sysrq in the kernel hacking menu, and press
alt+sysrq+m a few times while kswapd is using lots of memory, please?

Then run `dmesg -s 1000000 > dmesg.out`, and send the dmesg over,
please?

Thanks,
Nick