Re: [2.6.10-rc2+] ide1=ata66 -- OBSOLETE OPTION, WILL BE REMOVED SOON!

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 09:37:22 EST

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:52:52 +0000, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Llu, 2004-12-13 at 21:47, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > I do need a way to force an 80c cable on this AMD756 (ATA66 max) board,
> > > since the BIOS doesn't seem to be setting the cable bits correctly.
> >
> > Ugh, I checked AMD datasheets and AMD756 doesn't support host
> > side cable detection. Well, we can try doing disk side only for it.
> > [ ATi and ITE (in -ac kernels) drivers are also doing this. ]
>
> That is probably a good change but not sufficient for things like
> bladeservers where some vendors use short 40c cables which are within
> specification but break drive side detection. Removing ata66 forcing
> doesn't work because of these although perhaps it could be done using
> subvendor ids so it is automatic ?

Yes, one of the aims of deprecating ata66 override was to see what can
be done automatically. The fewer special kernel parameters the better
(w/o sacrificing functionality of course).

> Right now I plan to keep ata66 overrides in -ac.

Fine but I'm not going to remove them soon (warning is a bit strong
to help us gain more knowledge :), however it would be nice if somebody
could move them from IDE core to specific host drivers.

Bartlomiej