Re: [RFC] Device Resource Management

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 10:23:28 EST

Two issues that we have discussed for embedded usage would be making resources 64-bit always. We are starting to see more and more systems with greater than 32-bits of physical address space while still having 32-bit effective. The second is sharing resources. On several devices the IO memory region for one device may reside inside another. One example of this is the registers used to control ethernet MII PHYs exist inside of an ethernet controllers register block.

Also, I liked having a name in resource. It allows us to find the specific resource we need if we have multiple resources of a given type without assuming order. And thus adding a device_find_iores_bynames().

- kumar