Re: [RFC] Device Resource Management

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 14:27:12 EST

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:57:41PM -0500, Adam Belay wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 08:14:05PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:45:09AM -0500, Adam Belay wrote:
> > > My implementation is not based on the existing "struct resource" stuff because
> > > quite frankly, even making small changes would break a large number of
> > > drivers. Instead it uses "struct iores" My hope is that we can gradually
> > > phase the old implementation out.
> >
> > Ah, what's wrong with a little breakage :)
>
> I can work with that approach too :) I was just concerned with some of the
> not so testable legacy drivers.

Well, if they build properly, that's good enough to start with... You
know the drill, you did it before...

> > > With that in mind, I'd like to work out a solid new API, and would appreciate
> > > any comments or suggestions, both on the code in this patch and the overall
> > > design of the API.
> > >
> > > A few issues need to be discussed. The most important is probably how sysfs
> > > will display resource usage? "struct kobject" is actually larger then "struct
> > > iores" so I don't feel very comfortable embedding it. But, if a kobject based
> > > sysfs resource tree would be needed, then I'd be happy to implement it. If
> > > not what would be a good alternative? Does the user have to read resources
> > > from each device like one would with this current patch?
> >
> > Why would it matter if we export this info to userspace? Do any
> > userspace programs care about this information?
>
> It depends if we want userspace to handle any resource management policy.
> If it doesn't, then more complex PnP algorithms will have to be implemented
> in kernel. Userspace control is more important for old technology where
> resource assignment can be less flexable. Examples would include ISAPnP and
> PCMCIA. The majority of systems could probably get by without userspace
> control if we are able to map out tricky things like the 10-bit decode VGA I/O
> in kernel.
>
> Pat suggested a resource tree in sysfs with each item in the tree linking back
> to the device that consumes it. Kobject size, and strange locking/lifetime
> challenges would be the major disadvantages. Also a method for making the
> actual assignments would have to be worked out.

Ok, that makes sense. I wouldn't worry about the kobject size. I don't
think that we will run into a lot of different resources on a lot of
different devices. Today, the only kobject size issue is for thousands
of storage devices, and those issues are already taken care of.

We can always work on shrinking the kobject size (it's on my todo list)
if it gets too big and becomes an issue here.

So in short, add it to your structure and we can go from there.

> > > This patch was only tested for compilation so it may have a few bugs/typos.
> > > Once again I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.
> >
> > It looks good. What's the main goals of this redesign (for those of us
> > who are old and forgot what you said at the last kernel summit...)
>
> Basically there are three goals:
>
> 1.) To solve the resource allocation problems we currently see with ACPI and
> other bus/firmware technologies and fullfill their requirements.
>
> 2.) To integrate the tracking of bus resources into the driver model-- This
> will allow us to more accurately track device dependencies. Just like there
> are power parents/domains in power management, there are resource producers in
> resource management. Also it should allow us to remove a bunch of duplicate
> code between bus drivers.
>
> 3.) To support resource rebalancing-- This will likely become necessary as PCI
> express gains wider usage because it will allow for more complex PCI bridge
> hierarchies. A device could be paused, and it's resources could be adjusted
> to accommodate a newly hotplugged device etc.

Thanks for reminding me. All good goals to have.

There is a PCI Express patch on lkml that you might want to take a look
at if you are concerned as to how that might play out.

thanks,

greg k-h