Re: 2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V0.7.33-03 and NVidia wierdness, withworkaround...

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 17:04:45 EST

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 16:49 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:04:21 EST, Steven Rostedt said:
>
> > Nope! I have the 6629. Actually, the patch you have for NV solved the
> > pgd_offset problem.
>
> Glad to hear it, I'm just the messenger on that one (I forget which lkml
> denizen actually wrote/posted that one).
>
> > But I'm amazed that you didn't get into the
> > may_sleep calls.

I keep typing may_sleep for some reason, it really gets annoying when
searching for that function ;-)

> I'm actually not *that* surprised - my test base consists entirely of one Dell
> Latitude C840 laptop with a GeForce4 440 Go card, so there's no SMP issues or
> similar, and I don't do heavy 3D or anything unless xscreensaver decides to use
> a random OpenGL display hack. Most likely, your hardware and/or CONFIG_* setup
> is getting it into code paths that never get hit on my system. And the
> might_sleep() is almost certainly on one of those paths.
>
> (For the record, I *did* see a few might_sleep hits on 2.6.10-rc2-mm4-V0.7.31-15,
> but they only hit sendmail, gpg, bash, and stuff like that, never an X-based program.)

I just sent my last email out just before I received this one.

Just for the record, I'm testing this on a SMP Athlon system (my main
desktop) and a SMP HT Thinkpad G41 (just hyper threaded, not really SMP,
but it does act the same).

-- Steve